Friday, March 2, 2012

I had an interesting taste (literally) of Darmstadt culture last night in the form of a Laternchen (LAT-ern-shen).  Apparently, the drink is only served in TWO bars in Darmstadt.  Initially, the limited number of locations to order a Laternchen made me think it might be a drink made primarily for TUD students, but a little time spent on the wonderful World Wide Web convinced me otherwise.

A Laternchen is a fairly simple drink, consisting of cherry liquor and apple wine.  You place a small wine glass in the middle of a liter mug, fill the wine glass with cherry liquor, and then fill the mug with apple wine.  I know that Laternchen means "little lantern," but I don't know much of the history of the drink beyond that.  I'm sure there's a good story behind it, so I'll be sure to ask around.  I also don't know the exact alcohol content of the drink, but I will say that two Laternchens in one night would probably be my limit.  


While drinking our Laternchens, another student I was with observed that only Germans would serve wine and liquor in liter mugs.  I can't say I agree or disagree, but I will say that other cultures definitely have much to learn from Germans about drinking.  I know I do.

Also, apologies for forgetting a pic about Rome!  Here's one overlooking the forum (kind of like a central square meant for trading, public addresses, and other activities).  Notice the Colosseum in the background.



3 comments:

  1. I spent a semester at TUD, but I remember there being seltzer or club soda or something fizzy in the laternchen.

    They are delicious, when I was there, they made the best ones at the Hotzenplotz just east of the duck pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hotzenplotz is still thriving! I went there a few times while I was studying at TUD. And I could be mistaken, but I think the carbonation comes from the apfelwein itself. The only apfelwein I had was carbonated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good to hear, I spent many a long night at Hotzenplotz, that and An Sibin. It's been a long time, I'll have to keep my eye out for the carbonated apfelwein.

    ReplyDelete