Sunday, March 4, 2012

Camera

I've decided that I need to buy a camera ASAP.  The little camera on my iPhone just doesn't do the sights I'm seeing justice.

I went on a run today to Rosenhöhe Park and Mathildenhöhe, an artists' guild that is one of the few really cool cultural things Darmstadt can brag about.  I didn't go into the Mathildenhöhe, as I was sweaty and disheveled from my run, but I definitely plan on going back to learn more about its history.

A picture from within the central dome in Rosenhöhe.  For those familiar with the Arboretum at UIUC, this park is bigger, has more trails, and is also complete with historical houses, mausoleums, and other monuments. 

 Here we have a picture of the Mathildenhöhe.  Also present, but not included in the picture, are gardens and a decorative pool.

While at Mathildenhöhe, I noticed some people playing an interesting game that involves tossing softball-sized metal balls in a fashion similar to how people throw horseshoes.  After some research, I realized it was Bocce, a game I'm actually familiar with.  Apparently it is much more common in Europe than in the states.  


Another interesting observation (to me, at least) is how much gravel is used here.  In the states, parks are generally expected to have paved paths.  Here, it seems as if the expectation is that they should be gravel.  I almost prefer the gravel look to pavement.  After it's had time to become compacted, it is as firm as pavement, doesn't shed water like pavement, and it doesn't show cracks and flaws like pavement.  But more importantly, it demonstrates the European (German?) mentality of building WITH nature, not dominating it.  The same idea is demonstrated with the prevalence of potted plants and roof gardens.  Almost every balcony is dotted with plants, and there are roof gardens on most buildings in Darmstadt. 



No comments:

Post a Comment