Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 1: Arrival

It is currently 11:10 AM German time, and I'm eager to explore.  I'll try to keep this post short.  

My flatmates are awesome!  Tobi and Julian picked me up from the airport at 8 o'clock, complete with boisterous enthusiasm and, interestingly, a splash of nervous energy.  I thought at the time the nervousness could be due to meeting their first true American flatmate, as I was feeling fairly nervous myself.  However, on the drive from the airport back to the flat, they explained to me that the bright blue-and-red sign they had written my name on was, in fact, a no-parking sign, and that they were energetic and nervous mostly because they didn't know what would happen if airport security saw them with it.  They made it clear that they were eager to get to know me, too.  Needless to say, it was an exciting welcome and a favorable first impression.  


While waiting for my flatmates, an obviously drunk young German man (yes, at 7 AM) took a seat at the same table as me and proceeded to mumble to his demons, while struggling to hold his torso upright.  I asked the man if I could help him, he apologized, and stumbled off.  A few minutes later, I realized he had left his cell phone.  I obviously wanted to return it to him, as he seemed to be in need of help, but I was wary as well.  After all, I'd only been in Germany for an hour.  I toyed with the idea that the man was setting a ruse, but decided I'd just be careful.  I knew I'd always wonder what happened to the man if I didn't try to return his phone, so try I did.  I found him just outside the gate.  He was very appreciative to have his phone back, or at least as appreciative as someone who is having trouble speaking can be.  

I also bought a coffee without speaking English!

So, in my first few hours in Germany, I contributed to the local economy, held a brief conversation in German, performed a charitable act, and witnessed the result of some mischievous vandalism.  I feel almost assimilated!  Just kidding.  But in any case, I certainly haven't had time to feel nervous, and I really like that.  Hopefully that feeling will continue.  

1 comment:

  1. Matt, MORE POSTS!!! I must live vicariously through you for the next 3 weeks. Haha, just kidding, post when you want to. I really liked the first post! ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete